help on script

Hi all,

I have a problem and and idea to solve it but I dont know how can I implement
it. This is the scenario:

I have a main proxy server (main proxy) configured with round-robin options and
connected to 2 parents proxy (proxy 1 and proxy 2. Everything is working fine
but if proxy 1 or proxy 2 connection to the internet fails and the connection
between the main proxy and the parents proxy still alive the main proxy still
do round-robin request to both proxy which causes the page to sometimes not
opening and sometimes opens.

now my solution is this from proxy 1 and proxy 2 since both machines have 2 NIC
eth0 connected to lan and eth1 connected to the internet I will create a script
pinging the internet, if the system determined that the internet is dead it
will issue a command ifconfig eth0 down then when the system determined that
the internet is alive it will issue a command ifconfig eth0 up.

Can anybody help me on this kind of script, a script that is based on ttl reply

thank you very much,

Wennie