recent match in SSH chain not working

I'm using a variant of Grant Taylor's SSH brute force chain table in
my firewall script, but I'm having a bit of trouble.  I first define a
SSH chain as:

/sbin/iptables -N SSH
/sbin/iptables -F SSH
/sbin/iptables -A SSH -m recent --name SSH --set --rsource
/sbin/iptables -A SSH -i ${IFint} -j RETURN
/sbin/iptables -A SSH -m recent ! --rcheck --seconds 60 --hitcount 3 --name SSH --rsource -j RETURN
/sbin/iptables -A SSH -j DUMP

(IFint is a trusted, internal network) and then a jump to the chain in
my INPUT rules:

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i ${IFext} --dport ssh -m state --state NEW -j SSH
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i ${IFext} --dport ssh -j ACCEPT

the jump to the SSH chain works fine, and I notice the recent list
being created correctly in /proc/net/ipt_recent/SSH.  However, the
rule:

/sbin/iptables -A SSH -m recent ! --rcheck --seconds 60 --hitcount 3 --name SSH --rsource -j RETURN

never matches any packets, and thus any connection from outside my
trusted network fails.  Strangely, this rule *worked* for awhile, and
only recently stopped allowing outside SSH connections, for reasons
I'm completely mystified by - my only guess is a recent upgrade borked
something, or I'm missing something obvious in the above ruleset.  Any
help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

If its of any help, I'm using iptables 1.3.0 on a 2.6.12 kernel.

Regards,
Tim