Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: ipsets for both source and target in one iptables-rule?

Hi Joszef & Rob,

> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 Frank.Mayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I just realized that I now think I understand what you meant by "But
why
> > do you specify the protocol?"
> >
> > I could have written the rule like
> >         iptables -A -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
>
> Yes, conntrack hold entries of connections you had explicitly let to
open
> up. So (usually) there is no point to add other matches to the rule
above.

> Best regards,
> Jozsef

In hindsight, I completely agree with you (I hadn't given my example(s)
the same scrutinity I usually apply to actual rule sets - if I do have the
time to do so).
Nevertheless I like to expressly state "-s 0/0 -d 0/0" for
understandability.

I have one more request, if I may bother you once again:
can you point me to some documentation that clarifies state matching from
a user's point of view?
I do understand "NEW" and "ESTABLISHED" related to TCP, but their meaning
for e.g. UDP and ICMP mostly eludes me, as does the "RELATED" state:
under which circumstances is one connection considered "related" to
another one (does that depend on the interpretation of the respective
conntrack-module, or is there a general definition)?

Best Regards and many thanks again for your clarifications
- and patience ;-)

Frank Mayer
UNIX Systemadministration
KNAPP Systemintegration GmbH