RE: Letting out port 80 traffic

Since you are using Squid, your client users will attempt to use the
proxy (8080?) rather than going out port 80 on the firewall until they
forget about the proxy settings and request pages directly (IE is set to
automatically discover proxy settings by default, while Firefox is set
to connect directly by default). Since you opened port 80, your web
clients now have an alternate path to the Internet.

At least that is my best guess. =)

Derick Anderson