Re: Howto redirect internet traffic from local machine back to local machine?

also traffic from local machine doesn't pass through PREROUTING chain. add this rule to OUTPUT chain of NAT table.

ruben@xxxxxxxx wrote:

  REDIRECT
      This  target  is only valid in the nat table, in the PREROUTING and
OUTPUT chains, and user-defined chains which are only called from
those chains.
      It alters the destination IP address to send the packet to the
machine itself (locally-generated packets are mapped to the
127.0.0.1 address).   It
      takes one option:

      --to-ports port[-port]
             This  specifies a destination port or range of ports to use:
without this, the destination port is never altered.  This
is only valid if the
             rule also specifies -p tcp or -p udp.

- Ruben

Hi!

Unfortunately i did not find a proper answer on the web although i googled
around for quite a lot of time:

I want to analyse a malware on my computer. The malware connects to a
lot of sites on the internet (hard coded in the program but unfortunately
these IPs are encrypted).

I know the port the program wants to connect to and i want to answer its
requests by a script on the same machine.

I tried this for a test to catch connections to mail servers:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d ! 192.168.100.0/24 --dport 25 -j
DNAT
               --to 127.0.0.1:25

But it does not work:

$ telnet mail.gmx.net 25
Trying 213.165.64.21...
Connected to mail.gmx.net.         <--- of course, that's not my box
Escape character is '^]'.
220 {mp027} GMX Mailservices ESMTP

I assume the problem has something to do that the packets are generated
on the "iptables-machine". Unfortunately, i only have this machine and
thus
i cannot send the packets through a second firewall-machine.

I would be very happy if any kind soul could give me a hint!

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

--
If you are good, you will be assigned all the work.  If you are real good, you will get out of it