Re: FW: Linux Firewall Problem

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 11:23 +0000, Paul Collen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Linux and I've inherited a Webmin controlled firewall. I'm
> used to using a SonicWall firewall and just can't seem to get the hang
> of the Linux firewall. My problem is I need to allow Outlook Web Access
> through to a server. OWA is installed and can be used internally by
> going to the server i.e. http://server/exchange We have an IP address I
> can use to connect with but I just can't seem to let any traffic through
> to the server, let alone just port 80 and 443. Are there any firewall
> gurus that can give me some help please?
<snip>
I was in a similar position many years ago and found there are excellent
tutorials available to help one understand iptables.  In most cases, I
found it to be far more powerful and flexible than other proprietary
systems.  Many tutorials are listed on the netfilter web site.  There is
an excellent one at
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html
You can also find some training slide shows in the training section of
http://iscs.sourceforge.net although these are a little out of date.
Good luck and welcome to the world of netfilter and iptables! - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com