RE: Performance problems on my firewall using iptables (SuSEfirewall2)

Sorry for a very late reply. Your ruleset is not obscenely large,
however it does seem to be more complicated than necessary for a home
firewall. There are well over 200 rules here and from skimming them I
would have to say that some unnecessary, particularly with a default
DROP policy on INPUT and FORWARD. Generally it's only necessary to drop
subnets you don't like before accepting ports and bad TCP packets
(invalid state, NEW without --syn, and so on).

Having only used a Linux GUI under extreme duress, I don't know how much
the difference in memory usage is logged-in vs. logged off, however I
would conjecture that a GUI adds a considerable footprint to your memory
space. 94MB of RAM (96 - 2 for video?) is not very much, I run a much
simpler firewall with 128MB (Debian, no GUI, very spartan) and that is
cutting it close for me. Also, my firewall is 2.0Ghz, not 200Mhz. It may
simply be that your computer is too slow - I wouldn't run a firewall on
anything less than a PIII/equivalent with 128MB of RAM, no matter what
size.

You should also know (if you don't already) that iptables processes
rules linearly, so each one you add makes a difference.

Derick Anderson