ip6tables and iptables

Having my Gentoo-Linux system ipv6 enabled, it now has ip6tables AND iptables.

My question is, does ip6tables completely replace iptables or do I have to configure and run both iptables AND ip6tables?

There already is a minimalistic ruleset for iptables from
<http://www.spinics.net/lists/netfilter/msg33021.html>
Could somebody please point me to the entries necessary for ip6tables for a laptop computer that will never have to act as a router?
--
Volkm@r