Re: iptables on DLink DSL-502T Modem/Router

On 11/8/05, /dev/rob0 <rob0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please do not top-post. Thank you.
>
> On Tuesday 2005-November-08 14:39, Paul Goodyear wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply, that would explain a few things. I did try the
> > rule in both INPUT and FORWARD chains, but neither worked, I took a
> > guess that it would be INPUT to use so I posted with that chain.
>
> There is no need to guess when we have "man iptables" at our
> fingertips. :)
>
> > Order, when I do a iptables -L -n I can see my rule, but it is always
> > at the bottom of the pile, so this might be the whole issue. How do I
> > know what <ruleid> the other rules are so I can add above them?
>
> "iptables -h" gives a brief syntax overview. The "--line-numbers"
> option, available in recent versions of iptables, can help. With older
> versions, I just list the rules and count them manually!
>
> > I have read the -A param is "to add a rule at the end of the chain"
> > how do I add at the begining of the chain?
>
> In Jim's reply and also in "iptables -h" and "man iptables".
> --
>     mail to this address is discarded unless "/dev/rob0"
>     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header

Sry about the top posting.

Thanks for that, I used the -I chain <ruleid> successfully. And added
the rule 2 down, but the router still does not let me in. Could it be
possible that the iptables rule is in place, but the manufactures
(DLink) have done something to stop this working?

I have a Safecom router also, with the same embeded linux version and
this supports ip filtering and the iptables commands.

Thanks again.