Re: incrementing TTL in firewall

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:21:16 +0200, Bill Hance
<bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>   I am trying to "hide" my firewall from showing up on
traceroutes, but
> want my network to be pingable.  So, I've forwarded icmp
type 8 through
> the firewall to a host that will do the echo replying.
>
>   As you can see below, when I omit the "1" from the
command, I get a
> message to specify a value.  But when I add "1" as the
value, I get a
> "No chain/target/match by that name" error...
>
>   Any help would be appreciated.
>
>  -Bill
>

> [root@BULLDOG /]# uname -r
> 2.4.20-6
> [root@BULLDOG /]# rpm -q iptables
> iptables-1.2.7a-2
> [root@BULLDOG /]#
> [root@BULLDOG /]# iptables -t mangle -L -n -v
> Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 56522 packets, 32M bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 14410 packets, 919K bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 42112 packets, 31M bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 13576 packets, 1318K bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>
> Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 55687 packets, 32M
bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
> [root@BULLDOG /]#
> [root@BULLDOG /]#
> [root@BULLDOG /]#
> [root@BULLDOG /]# iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j TTL
--ttl-inc
> iptables v1.2.7a: TTL: You must specify a value
> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more
information.
> [root@BULLDOG /]#
> [root@BULLDOG /]# iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j TTL
--ttl-inc 1
> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
> [root@BULLDOG /]#
> [root@BULLDOG /]#

Maybe you're missing TTL target support in the kernel.
Check
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html#TTLTARGET

http://mail.yahoo.com