Troubleshooting Netfilter Firewall (performance issues)

List,

I am currently troubleshooting performance issues on a network that seem
to indicate an issue with the firewall.

I've been using a netfilter configuration for almost 2 years without
issue, but we have been suffering through lost connections(tcp resets)
when transferring files through the firewall via scp, ftp, http, and
smb.

All interfaces on the firewall and on the switches connected to the
firewall appear clean.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this to determine what might be going
on?  I've used fwbuilder to build the ruleset and up until ~10/7/2005 we
were not experiencing any issues whatsoever.

The current box is a dual processor(1400Mhz) Dell 1650:

top says:
top - 11:26:42 up 9 days, 10:21,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.06
Tasks:  51 total,   1 running,  50 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):   0.0% user,   1.0% system,   0.0% nice,  99.0% idle
Mem:   1032992k total,   124124k used,   908868k free,     9744k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,    28660k cached

netstat -s says:

Ip:
    803083052 total packets received
    797709786 forwarded
    0 incoming packets discarded
    1206740 incoming packets delivered
    2326772 requests sent out
    1008 outgoing packets dropped
    11 fragments dropped after timeout
    222078 reassemblies required
    11467 packets reassembled ok
    11 packet reassembles failed
    11184 fragments received ok
    221228 fragments created
Icmp:
    45 ICMP messages received
    10 input ICMP message failed.
    ICMP input histogram:
        destination unreachable: 2
        echo requests: 33
    13281 ICMP messages sent
    0 ICMP messages failed
    ICMP output histogram:
        destination unreachable: 1610
        time exceeded: 11671
Tcp:
    4 active connections openings
    114 passive connection openings
    2 failed connection attempts
    12 connection resets received
    3 connections established
    382150 segments received
    834405 segments send out
    10239 segments retransmited
    0 bad segments received.
    330 resets sent
Udp:
    819564 packets received
    319 packets to unknown port received.
    0 packet receive errors
    1479565 packets sent
TcpExt:
    58 invalid SYN cookies received
    29 TCP sockets finished time wait in fast timer
    7 packets rejects in established connections because of timestamp
    576 delayed acks sent
    27 delayed acks further delayed because of locked socket
    Quick ack mode was activated 58 times
    181 packets directly queued to recvmsg prequeue.
    193 of bytes directly received from prequeue
    10144 packet headers predicted
    4 packets header predicted and directly queued to user
    56472 acknowledgments not containing data received
    302400 predicted acknowledgments
    170 times recovered from packet loss due to SACK data
    Detected reordering 6 times using time stamp
    4 congestion windows fully recovered
    82 congestion windows partially recovered using Hoe heuristic
    TCPDSACKUndo: 1
    1035 congestion windows recovered after partial ack
    88 TCP data loss events
    27 timeouts after SACK recovery
    374 fast retransmits
    29 forward retransmits
    8106 retransmits in slow start
    1610 other TCP timeouts
    5 sack retransmits failed
    58 DSACKs sent for old packets
    3003 DSACKs received
    5 DSACKs for out of order packets received
    6 connections aborted due to timeout

Thanks
--
James Harrison RHCE