Re: blocking traffic between two internal interfaces ?

On Thursday 2005-October-20 00:22, Seferovic Edvin wrote:
> > I would use interfaces, not IP addresses.
> >
> > 	You mean - physdev matching?
> >
> >I mean -i and -o options.
>
> Packet do come in on the eth1 but I dont think that they will leave
> eth2 because ( for example only ) - what happens when I try to access
> services on IP of eth2?

We were talking about FORWARD. Sounds like you are talking about INPUT.
Yes, users on the eth1 segment will be able to access services on the
firewall machine using its eth2 (or any other) IP address, unless you
block with rules in INPUT or OUTPUT.

> Is another routing decision made or are they just kept in eth2?

They're not routed. It's a local destination. So no, there is no output
interface.

> >That makes sense. See, you can't evaluate why something doesn't work
> > as expected unless you know the whole picture.
>
> I try to keep the whole pic in my head, but when you work the whole
> night long - that is not so easy ;)

I was just trying to make you feel guilty for withholding information
from your post. :) But indeed, it's not always easy to get the picture
in your head, and working nights can't help. :)

> > and applied this rule and now I cannot access the 172.20.0.0 net.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> >Was this not the goal? What is to suggest?
>
> Maybe some other more elegant solution ;) Not every solutions is the
> best one. But sure - goal reached ;) Thank You very much !

Hmmm, 2 rules (4 if you want to REJECT the -p tcp) and total separation
of the segments ... sounds good to me. But I'm not you. If there's
something missing, let us know. You can always precede your DROP/REJECT
rules with exceptions if necessary.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header