RE: blocking traffic between two internal interfaces ?

On Wednesday 2005-October-19 23:11, Seferovic Edvin wrote:
> I would use interfaces, not IP addresses.
>
> 	You mean - physdev matching?

>I mean -i and -o options.

	Packet do come in on the eth1 but I dont think that they will leave
eth2 because ( for example only ) - what happens when I try to access
services on IP of eth2? Is another routing decision made or are they just
kept in eth2?

> Iptables -A FORWARD -d 172.20.0.0/16 -m physdev --physdev-in eth1
> -j DROP
>
> This rule works now.. I must had an ESTABLISHED connection in my
> conntrack table since this rule didn't work first time I tried it.

>That makes sense. See, you can't evaluate why something doesn't work as
>expected unless you know the whole picture.

	I try to keep the whole pic in my head, but when you work the whole
night long - that is not so easy ;)

> Now Ive restarted my gateway

>You can also flush all iptables rules, unload all netfilter modules,
>then reload and restore. You'll start with an empty conntrack table.
>(Someone will mention the new conntrack tool which will work with
>2.6.14 and later.)

	Yes ... It was me who asked about the possibility to clear the
conntrack table because I couldn't unload the iptable-modules. They are
"being used" :( . So I think Ill have to wait until 2.6.14....

> and applied this rule and now I cannot access the 172.20.0.0 net.
>
> Any suggestions?

>Was this not the goal? What is to suggest?

	Maybe some other more elegant solution ;) Not every solutions is the
best one. But sure - goal reached ;) Thank You very much !

Regards,

Edvin Seferovic