Re: iptables spof address problem

On Wednesday 2005-September-28 15:49, Piotr Holubniak wrote:
> Lest assume that spoofed  address is IP which is not assignet in the
> local network. Netfilter logs incomming traffic but it shows MAC
> address unknown or completely unpredictable (Windows shows all 0-ros,

The MAC address is a layer 2 thing. It is only seen within a physical
Ethernet segment. BTW/FYI, those are easily spoofed too; see ip(8) and
ifconfig(8).

> How can I make netfilter to log MAC address of the attackers
> computer, not this one which is resolved by TCP/IP stack ? Is it
> possible?

Not that I know of. You don't see MAC addresses outside your segment.
Not seeing them is a pretty strong indicator that they won't be logged.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header