Re: weird iptables behaviour

> --- /dev/rob0 <rob0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Friday 2005-September-16 00:45, Grant Taylor wrote:
> > > On the openvpn box, FORWARD policy is DROP, so I
> did
> > > "iptables -I FORWARD -i tap0 -j ACCEPT" and thought
> > this
> > > should do the trick. But I was wrong. The only
> solutions I
> >
> > First of all you will need to have a corresponding
> rule:
>
> iptables -I FORWARD -o tap0 -j ACCEPT
>
> To allow traffic in the reverse direction too.
>
> Better yet, the usual stateful rule:
> iptables -I FORWARD -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
> -j ACCEPT

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I already have the stateful
rule in the chain. It's not in the first position, but I
don't think that matters because I issued a few consecutive
"iptables -L FORWARD -v" and, from what I could tell, all
the ping packets hit the default (DROP) policy, so this
means the packets did not match either the first (-i tap0
-j ACCEPT) rule (which is normal, since only the first ping
packet matches that), or the stateful rule (which is
somewhere down in the chain and _should_ have been matched
by the other ping packets).

> Did you compile your bridging support with bridge-nf
> support?  If you did you will need to do some more work
to > allow your traffic to pass through.  This is because
> the bridge-nf code allows IPTables to see the traffic
that
> is passing on layer 2 as if it was on layer 3.

Yeah, apparently I have CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER=y. But
still, from what I know, the "-i tap0 -j ACCEPT" and the
stateful rule should be enough. The packet comes in on
tap0, should get through and the reply should match the
stateful rule.

> Thus you will> probably need a rule like this:
>
> iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o br0 -j ACCEPT

I don't understand this rule. Does it mean that what comes
on any of the bridged interfaces can go to any (other)
bridged interface(s)?

P.S.: Sorry for the private reply, /dev/rob0. I didn't look
at the "To:" field...