How to find if there are any open streams

Note: forwarded message attached.

--- Begin Message ---
Hi All,
We are implementing a protocol for our small wireless
custom network. We have a few different subnets in our
network. So, when a node from one of these subnets
moves to a different subnet, we want the address to
time out. We arrived at this using dhcp, which
automatically times out. Our problem is that we should
not time out the previous address if there are any
open streams.
1.How could we know if there are any open streams?
2.How to change the lease time at dhcp client on the
run so that it wouldnt timeout?
I'd be glad to find notes on this.
Thanks in advance.
regards,