Understanding rate limiting

I am new to iptables and I find it hard to understand rate limiting. (-m limit)

Just a few questions:
1) It is used for logging as well as not allowing a stream to exceed
its packets/time quota?
2) will all the packets that execeed the given rate be dropped?
(assuming a DROP jump is given)
3) is this a form of bandwidth management ... can i do this to limit
the bandwidth used by members in my organization?
4) how is dstlimit different? (and... quit naive... why is there no srclimit?)

I searched hard... but i have failed to find proper answers for the
above questions....