Re: firewall iptables based ?

On Wednesday 2005-September-07 21:39, LinuXKiD wrote:
> which open source firewall iptables based
> you recommend ?
>
> I've checked smoothwall and shoreline, but on
> freshmeat.net I've see many more !

I have not seen one I really liked. I know Monmotha's is good; I used
that before I learned iptables(8) myself. But it and most others seem
far too complex for my liking.

Read and understand the Packet Filtering HOWTO (and NAT HOWTO if you
need NAT) and start with those examples. It's very simple and secure.
The real benefit is that you will understand WHY it's secure.

I used to have a fancy script which did a lot with little configuration
by the user, but it proved to be too much to maintain. Lately I am just
editing iptables-save(8) rules files for iptables-restore(8).
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header