Re: max-src-conn-rate (Connection rate throttling per IP)

Benoit Panizzon wrote:
Hi all

I'm looking for a way to prevent connection DOSing of specific services.

The goal is to count the connection rate per conneting ip and then reject those connections if they pass a certain limit.

It looks like OpenBSD's pf is the only packet filter (except some commerctial Firewalls) which has this ability.

The best I managed with iptables is to throttle the connection rate for a specific port, but this of course affecs normal users trying to use that service and does not change the fact of the service being DOSed.

The other possibility I found is to write my own userspace QUEUE target connection rate tracker via the iptables api. But as I'm not a programmer and I think this is a quite common request I just wonder:

Hasn't allready somebody written such a per source connection rate limmiter?

Is there a repository of different userspace QUEUE tools where I could find something similar?

Regards

Uhm, why don't you just use features that are already built into iptables? Like the following:

I use this to prevent simple scripts from bruteforcing my sshd.

Okay you might run into problems if people use forged source ip adresses since this would also block _new_ connection requests from this ip.

If someone has a smarter idea - let me know.

Regards,
Sascha