max-src-conn-rate (Connection rate throttling per IP)

Hi all

I'm looking for a way to prevent connection DOSing of specific services.

The goal is to count the connection rate per conneting ip and then reject
those connections if they pass a certain limit.

It looks like OpenBSD's pf is the only packet filter (except some commerctial
Firewalls) which has this ability.

The best I managed with iptables is to throttle the connection rate for a
specific port, but this of course affecs normal users trying to use that
service and does not change the fact of the service being DOSed.

The other possibility I found is to write my own userspace QUEUE target
connection rate tracker via the iptables api. But as I'm not a programmer and
I think this is a quite common request I just wonder:

Hasn't allready somebody written such a per source connection rate limmiter?

Is there a repository of different userspace QUEUE tools where I could find
something similar?

Regards
--
Benoît Panizzon, <bp@xxxxxx>
ImproWare AG, UNIXSP & ISP                   Phone:   +41 61 826 93 00