Re: Transparent proxy where source IP address remains unchanged -- possible?

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 02:07:15PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:07:00AM -0400, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
> > I'm relocating a web/email/ssh server from one location to another (and
> > consequently to a new IP).  Since it's going to take many hours for the
> > IP address changes to propagate across DNS, I'd like to put a proxy box
> Not really related to achieving what you're asking, but if you have access to
> the DNS records for the domains you're dealing with (and you have enough
> leeway time), wouldn't it just be simpler to change your TTL to something like
> 60 seconds so the propagation time happens much more quickly?

It's a good idea, but there's a whole bunch of domains, and I don't
control them all. I need to ask the domain owners to change the IP
addresses, and so the lag is not just the propagation time but also the
owner-change time--thus I want to forward packets for at least a while.
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org