RE: Use IP connection tracking only for input and output chains

Could you provide more specific information on how to archieve this? A
tutorial (or a discussion about this) would be very nice. If you have a
good clue where I can find them it would save me a
lot of time getting through a lot of information.

Did see something here:
<http://iptables.gds.tuwien.ac.at/patch-o-matic/pom-submitted.html>, but
looks like OpenWRT doesn't support that:

-- /proc/net/ip_tables_names
nat
mangle
filter
-- /proc/net/ip_tables_targets
TCPMMS
LOG
MASQUERADE
MARK
REJECT
DNAT
SNAT

I'm not looking forward to recompiling OpenWRT to include this
feature...

- Joris Dobbelsteen

--- Offtopic -----------------------------------------------------

>Do you like OpenWRT? I have Sveasoft on mine but I am not
>comfortable with it because of the GPL violations and the
>comments I have seen about the Sveasoft maintainer. It's nice
>to have Linksys-style GUI control, but I am quite capable of
>CLI management too.

OpenWRT is perfectly capable to sqeeze every feature out of the box. I
modified it quit a lot form the original layout. I don't run a web
interface, I believe there are available though, administration uses
SSH.
Rather the device acts as a router (not a masquarade/nat gateway). I'm
running dhcp-fwd and djbdns (caching dns server, dnsmasq didn't do
because it includes dhcp I don't want) on the box. It runs quagga with
OSPFv2 (faster reconfiguration than RIP). The internal switch can be
easily altered for a different network setup (vlans). It runs WPA/WPA2
with Radius server.
Just check out http://openwrt.org/, look for the documentation how to
get started.

Basically you get a plain Linux with some basic functionality for
wireless, network, adsl links, netfilter/iptables and dnsmasq. You can
latter add/remove packages as desired.

The box lacks (just like most of linux) any good mechanism to enforce a
network policy, globally. I implemented my own insecure method of doing
so (I know how to secure this, but it requires some work to be done).
Seems like I really like Microsoft ISA Server for this though...