IP forwarding

Hi,

I've got a network setup where the internal router is a Linux box
running iptables.  External interface is eth0, internal eth1.  I'm
attempting to forward an external IP address (say, 1.2.3.4) to an
internal machine.

The rule I added is:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 1.2.3.4 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT
--to 192.168.1.202

However, attempting to

telnet 1.2.3.4 80

does not work.  It's clear that the rule is being applied, because the
web server running on the external machine is not responding unless I
telnet from the router itself, but unfortunately I'm not getting into
192.168.1.202 either.  Attempting to

telnet 192.168.1.202 80

does work as expected.

What am I missing?  Any pointers are welcome.  Thanks,

Ricardo J. Méndez
http://ricardo.strangevistas.net/