Re: dnatting

Payal Rathod wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 07:59:18AM -0400, Jason Opperisano wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:34:07AM -0400, Payal Rathod wrote:
Thanks this solved it. Thanks again.
Now I am curious why Jason didn't suggest this.
no need for curiosity--re-read the last sentence of my post.

I had already did that and was wondering why the solution posted is
not agreed upon by. Why do you call it half-baked?
Payal

I'll jump in :) What we have done here is natted the connections in both directions. If you could imagine walking from your living room to your bedroom by going out the garage and coming back in the front door first you start to feel the sillyness of this datapath. Here's a few issues this technique raises:

* Increased utilization of the firewall
The firewall has to handle all the traffic which would normally just be switched internally, this makes the connection slower for the user and may impact other users as it uses resources on the firewall. This is also true of the network path in general, for instance: Say you put a gigabit card into the server, if you firewall only has 100mb card then your server really cannot use the GB card to any capacity, in fact it is limited to whatever bandwidth is left on the firewall interface. You spend good money on switches and network design, utilize them.

* Dependency on the firewall to reach local traffic
Turn off you firewall and your users can't reach this server! Maintenance becomes an issue.

* Masquerading of the source computer
If you have a problem with a user it will be more fun tracking it because the source IP address will now always appear to be the firewall and, if this is after the fact, the connection may be long gone from the connection table leaving you unable to trace the problem. Also, you can't use and IP based permissions on the server as, again, everyone will appear to be from the firewall

* Increased firewall rule complexity
Everytime another server is added in this fashion you need to maintain firewall rules, add lots of servers and it becomes real messy really fast. One of the keys to having a secure firewall is having clean rules, the more cruft that gets in there the more likely a mistake will be made creating a hole in your firewall system.

So, having put a few of these negative forth allow me to suggest an alternative. Split DNS, with split dns you will create a name, for example theserver.myplace.com and have a split view of it, that is, folks on the inside will get the inside address and folks on the outside will get the outside address. No special routing is then required and you can use the server internally without any of the above issues. I totally agree with Jason in suggesting that you investigate your name server rather than doing this bi-directional NAT.