Re: connection tracking and DNS

>Hi !
>
>I had a look at the site and did not find a lot of documentation about
>connection tracking. I only found modules for ftp, mms, talk, sip, quake and
>a few others : does it mean that other protocols are not conntracked ?

There's not much to conntrack with UDP for it's a connectionless protocol.
For bigger DNS queries, TCP is used nonetheless, so you can match the
connection.

>Then, I'm wondering how connection tracking is dealing with DNS (and more
>generally UDP) requests and replies : is it based on ports (when a connection
>from port 3350 to 53 occurs, iptables expect an answer from port 53 to port
>3350) ? is it based on any magical number inside the packet header ?

DNS query: localhost:12345 -> dnsserver:53
DNS reply: dnsserver:53 -> localhost:12345

If the reply happens within 30 seconds to the query, netfilter will handle it
without problems.

Jan Engelhardt