Re: Firewall feature recommendation

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> On Friday 24 June 2005 09:37, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > >Most if not all of the listed domains were personally researched by
> > > me. That's the weakness of this, though: it's impossible to keep
> > > ahead of the spammers and other ratware peddlers in this arms race.
> >
> > Just look into the named and/or squid logs and see what users (or
> > programs acting on their behalf) request.
>
> Yes, that would be the methodology, but it should be done in a
> controlled environment. Some, and now perhaps most, of our squid
> traffic is legitimate.
>
> What is needed is a network "clean room". A fresh Windows install with
> monitored outbound access. Using Outhouse Distress, activate a known
> virus email, watch what it does. Using Internet Exploder, visit a known
> malicious IIS site, and see the results.

Heck.. just put the windows box behind a NAT-ting linux box.. just log the
NEW connections, and adjust from there.. probably be more likely than
having a non-infected windows box.. :)

Thanks for you insight!

Carl
- --

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those that don't."