Re: Defeating NMAP Null scans (and Nessus scans).

>> > turns on those detections and rejections within the kernel, as well as
>> > perhaps adding a rule or two to DROP INVALID packets they should be
>> > covered, should they not? And thus with far less resource over head as
>> > extensive rules in their ruleset?
>>
>> That depends on what you want.
>
> what we want is for the firewall to be imune to invalid packets generated by
> these kinds  of scans, yes?  to not give out port information when hits with

I do not give out port information. At least, I do not give correct port
information, which is just as much gain.

> REJECT is the ind way to end a connection and does not slow an automated
> scanner one bit, while a DROP lets that attack tool keep the socket open on

Read closely. It uses -m random to switch between REJECT/DROP.
Try that rulesets and then nmap yourself with "nmap -r localhost -p 1-2500".
Count the time, and compare to a pure DROP based approach.
  (iptables -F; iptables -P INPUT DROP; nothing more)

> it;s end and tries to wait for feedback from the other end, and thus slows or

Surprisingly no. The REJECT/DROP mix confuses nmap more than a plain DROP. See
above.

> stops the scanner in t's tracks, if not totally for each attepted connection to
> each port for its timeout period.  That to me is the way I want my firewall to
> respond to bogus script kiddies hitting me with their messing little scanners
> as they play and try to learn the processes that should put their lame little
> butts in jail and cost mom and dad tons of cash for rasing little deamons in
> the first place <smile>.
>
> Of course, perhaps I'm incorrect in my analysis, and open to pointers to my
> misunderstanding of the processes.

Jan Engelhardt