Re: Defeating NMAP Null scans (and Nessus scans).

> Actually, a null scan should be generating INVALID packets, and if one

Does it really? What if there happens to be a null-flags/xmas-flags tcp packet
in an otherwise well-behaved tcp connection? I'd guess it would match
ESTABLISHED, even if it has got null flags.

> turns on those detections and rejections within the kernel, as well as
> perhaps adding a rule or two to DROP INVALID packets they should be
> covered, should they not? And thus with far less resource over head as
> extensive rules in their ruleset?

That depends on what you want.

The full fun (shortened here) currently present in AS_IPFW is:

    (base is iptables -P INPUT DROP)
    iptables -A scanchk -j REJECT --reject-with host-unreach -m random \
      --average 20;
    iptables -A INPUT -g scanchk -p tcp ! --syn -m state --state INVALID;
    iptables -A INPUT -j TARPIT -p tcp;
    iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with net-unreach -m random \
      --average 10;

Of course you can all DROP that, but I like to actively hinder unwanted
senders, and so, the implementation of this hindering requires REJECT.

Jan Engelhardt