Re: IMCP not returning

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 11:58:25AM -0400, Jason Opperisano wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 06:37:33PM +0300, Sadus . wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm trying to ping to a host and its not answering from location 1, but
> > it is answering from location 2, now when i ping from location 1, i can
> > see on the host's logs that location 1 can reach the machine since i log
> > icmp pings.
> >
> > i still can't get replies from the box on location1 (i can ping any
> > other machine on the net so my ISP doesn't block ICMPs)
>
> you have a routing problem.  $host knows to get to $location_1, but
> $location_1 doesn't know how to get back to $host (or has an invalid
> route to to it).

i transposed that.  i meant:  $location_1 knows how to get to $host,
but $host doesn't know how to get back to $location_1 (or has an invalid
route to to it).

but i got this part as i intended:

> start at $host with:
>
>   ip route get $location_1
>
> and follow the trail until it makes a wrong turn.

-j

--
"Peter: Well, fine. Until you put 'Gumbel 2 Gumbel' back on the air,
 I'm going on a hunger strike. Can you live with that? Huh, can you?"