From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of /dev/rob0
Sent: Thu 6/2/2005 7:15 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: iptables on multiple CPUs (SMP & Hyperthreading question)

Michael Buffer wrote:
> I'm considering purchasing some firewall machines for my organization, and
> I am trying to decide whether a machine with multiple CPUs is worth the
> additional expense performance-wise (aside from being able to assign CPUs

??? I cannot believe this is even under consideration. Just how big is
your organisation?

I run iptables firewalls on very modest machines, with single and dual
T1 lines, and there is never any CPU load from the packet filtering nor
the NAT. I don't have any really large sites, but I strongly suspect
that iptables firewalling of very large sites could easily be handled by
dumpster-grade equipment.

Of course with a budget like yours you'll want something new, which is
better (we hope) for the physical reliability of the machine. A fast CPU
  is useful for a fast boot time to minimise down time in the event of
problems. Otherwise, a waste.

Listen, I ran my home cable, with multiple simultaneous large downloads
and 3-4 busy Web browsers on a 386. It never broke a sweat. This of
course used ISA 10Mbit NIC's. It could have handled many times the load
without problem.

Why did I decommision it? Electricity. I only had so many outlets, and I
needed a machine to perform more complex tasks, so the firewall job got
handed off to another machine, and the 386 was retired. Still here in
case I need it again.

I need a new computer ATM. How about I build a firewall machine for you,
and you send me that SMP super machine? ;)
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header