Nice ZoneAlarm that might be useful for Iptables

There is a nice feature of Zonealarm for Windows that will check outgoing packets, and if that program sending is not on their list, ask if you want to allow that program to access the web.

In addition, it will warn if a program is asking for server rights although and ask for approval to grant that, although I don't understand what they mean by "server rights".

Most Iptables scripts I've seen do very little OUTPUT filtering which means a malicious program, if it got access somehow, could have free range to send packets out. Zombie or spyware perhaps.

The ability to block this by only allowing "approved" programs to access the Internet would be a nice addition to Iptables.

I heard this could be done in userspace with the QUEUE target in iptables although I haven't been able to dig up much information about QUEUE and it's use.

Does anyone have some ideas on how to implement this?

If I had some ideas I'd be willing to take a first cut at it. I know just enough Iptables to be dangerous <g>.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Slackware Linux