NAT and non-connection oriented UDP-based protocols

I'm having problems getting various UDP based non-connection-oriented
things running over my linux/iptables based firewall router using NAT.

What happens is this:

The application on my machine (call it A) opnes a UDP port (A) and sends
packets to some remove address (call it X:X).  The firewall (FW) sees
these packets and the SNAT rule rewrites the source address to be FW:A.
So when X gets the packets, they seem to come from FW:A.

Now if X replies directly, sending packets to FW:A from X:X, all is well;
the firewall sees those packets and forwards them to A:A (my machine) and
all is well.

If instead X forwards the packets (or just the source address FW:A) to
another machine Y, and Y sends replies back to FW:A from Y:Y, the firewall
doesn't forward the packets properly to A:A.  Instead it drops the packets
and sends ICMP port unreachable packets back to Y.

Is there a way to configure the firewall/iptables to not do that
and instead forward these packets to A:A?

Chris Dodd
cdodd@xxxxxxx