Re: netfilter Digest, Vol 10, Issue 74

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 06:31:55PM +0400, Visham Ramsurrun wrote:
> What I actually want is that, whether it is TCP traffic or that of any
> other protocol, the traffic be treated in the same way. I read in the
> Iptables Tutorial that there is a default connection tracking
> mechanism. There are specific protocol helper modules for handling
> specific protocol traffic (TCP, FTP are some examples). So, for the
> traffic of any particular protocol, either you use a a conntrack
> helper module (if it exists), or you use the default connection
> tracking of ip_conntrack which actually handles traffic from any
> protocol in the same way.

i think your misunderstanding is that there is some user-level choice
made here, where there is not.  ip_conntrack decides what to do based
on the protocol of the received packet.  to modify this behavior, modify
the net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_*.c files in the kernel source tree.

<-- snip the same questions i have already answered -->

if you didn't like my answer the first time, re-asking will not a) make
me tell you what you want to hear or b) make it true even if i did tell
you what you want to hear.

-j

--
"Kevin: Dad, the fish got away.
 Joe Swanson: The hell it did. You get in there and you kick that