Re: netfilter Digest, Vol 10, Issue 70

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:24:17PM +0400, Visham Ramsurrun wrote:
> What I mean by this is that the when a protocol is unknown to the
> ip_conntrack module if you don't have or don't want to use helper
> conntrack modules like that for TCP or FTP), connection tracking
> adopts a default method for handling these packets. It resembles the
> handling of UDP packets. When this default behaviour is used, even a
> packet that is not the SYN packet is considered as NEW. A second
> packet in the reverse direction (reply packet) will set the connection
> state to ESTABLISHED.

if you're asking if there's a way to modify the conntrack code to ignore
the fact that TCP traffic is TCP traffic, and instead treat it as some
random, unknown IP protocol; i would imagine you would have to hack the
crap outta the conntrack code, basically removing
ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.c from the equation.  i have no clue how you
would go about doing this.  i also have no idea what your impetus behind
this desire is; therefore, i can make no suggestion as to whether there
may be an easier way to accomplish your goal.

-j

--
"Stewie: Mother, I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint: it's
 in my diaper and it's not a toaster.