Connection tracking issues!!

Hi to all,

I read in the IPTables tutorial by Oskar Andreasson that the
connection tracking does not follow the flow of a TCP connection. If I
go with this, it means that after the SYN/ACK packet passes through
the stateful firewall, the connection is set to ESTABLISHED.

But it also says that it's only after the ACK packet has passed
through the stateful firewall that the connection is considered
ESTABLISHED. When SYN/ACK is received the flag is changed to SYN_RECV
and not ESTABLISHED.

Which one is good?

Also, I wanted to know if connection tracking still works for a TCP
connection where the SYN packet passes through stateful firewall FW1,
the SYN/ACK packet passes through stateful firewall FW2, the ACK
passes again through FW1 and the first data packet passes through FW2.
Is the connection considered as ESTABLISHED at that point on both
firewalls?

Any input will be very much appreciated..

Warm regards,
Visham