Re: Iptables logs on High bandwidth traffic network

On Wed, 4 May 2005, bharathi wrote:

>         I am planning to implement iptables log feature on a server
> machine(Dual xeon processor,Intel e100 cards,80GB SCSI and 2GB RAM)
> which is running in bridge mode (On RH 7.3).The average traffic on this
> machine is vary from 40-60Mbps.Hence I require some suggestion for some
> my questions like,

That seems to be a decent machine.

> 1) On this High traffic the kernel will be stable/crash ?

We tested netfilter in Gbit environment and could pump trough 200,000pps,
when NAT-ing all the traffic. There was no stability problem whatsoever.

> 2) What would be the CPU Load and the server is able to do this job
> without any pain ?

If there will be no exotic and expensive matches like 'string', then
there shouldn't be CPU problems. However choosing a good system bus,
nice interfaces and fastest RAM you can get will serve well.

> 3) Up to how much traffic the iptables/kernel can able to handle without
> any issue and what should I do additionally if I need the
>    iptable-log should handle this much traffic?

Set up another machine connected via a third interface directly and let
that machine fight with the disk I/O issues. Use the ULOG target instead
of LOG.  (And of course disable logging on the console :-)

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx