Re: Bind and other services on a DMZ

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:48:48PM -0300, fabricio bianco abreu wrote:
> Hi, folks
>
> I am trying to install a iptables based firewall to protect my servers providing
> information to the Internet in a DMZ fashioned mode.
>
> I need some help to debug the rules I have set up.
>
> I will provide some background information:
>
> 1. The firewall is a box with two ethernet adapters. The external adapter piles
> two valid adresses (200.x.y.z) and the internel adapter has one invalid address
> (172.16.a.b)
>
> 2. One DMZ machine (ip 172.16.0.5) is used to serve smtp, http, https, ftp.
>
> 3. Another DMZ machine (ip 172.16.0.2) is a bastion host, serving dns (bind) and
> mascarading traffic from my internal network.
>
> As for the firewall (packet filtering) configuration I have set up a bunch of
> rules. Here are the outputs to the commands "iptables -nL" and "iptables -nL -t
> nat"

when posting rules to the list, please either use "iptables [-t
nat|mangle] -vnxL" or the output of "iptables-save."  without seeing
all the information, it's too much guess-work.

i.e., i bet the second rule in the FORWARD chain doesn't actually accept
all traffic:

  ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

also--you say 172.16.0.2 is also running some iptables rules--you appear
to allow TCP 53 through the FORWARD chain of the first firewall, so i'd
double-check the INPUT/OUTPUT chains of 172.16.0.2 as the source of the
zone transfer issue, and then i'd check my bind ACLs.

-j

--
"Stewie: My God, I'm to entrust my life to a turtle? Nature's "D"
 student!"