Re: where list of **reserved address**??? (IP addresses can *drop*)

where list of **reserved address**??? (IP address can *drop*)

I had a list but I keep having to remove IP addresses from it....either list keeps changing or my list is crap....

As has been previously stated (in replies to your message) IANA has a list of reserved IP addresses (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space) which will periodically change. So I wrote a small script (see below) that will lynx --dump the page and run and MD5 sum of it and dump it in to a file. Periodically (when ever I feel like having Cron run it) the script will run and compare the page on the web's MD5 sum to what I knew about. If the MD5 sum is different it will email me and let me know.

Also you should look at RFC 3330 as it has a LOT of information (as do most RFCs) about network addresses that should be allowed to pass.

Grant. . . .

#!/bin/bash

NewMD5Sum=`lynx --dump http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space | md5sum | cut -f1 -d\ `
OldMD5Sum=`md5sum ~gtaylor/docs/ipv4-address-space | cut -f1 -d\ `

if [ ${NewMD5Sum} != ${OldMD5Sum:=null} ]; then
   lynx --dump http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space > ~gtaylor/docs/ipv4-address-space
   cat ~gtaylor/docs/ipv4-address-space | mail -s "New IPv4 Address Space info from IANA (`ct`)" gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
fi

Note:  ct is a small script that I wrote to give me a formated date output and is inconsequential in this matter.