Re: route all internet traffic through dummy device?

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 03:01:46AM -0500, Taylor Grant wrote:
> >>I'm trying to route all internet traffic through a dummy network device.
> >>Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that yet :-(
> >I used a tunnel between dwo different addresses on loopback device (ie.
> >127.0.0.2 and 127.0.0.3) and policy routing which puts everything from
> >outside to one end of the tunnel and from the inside into another end
> >(in my setup it works bi-directionaly - another hop is added for packets
> >traveling both ways).
> >If anyone is interested in more detailed description, I will gladly
> >provide info.
> I'm curious as to what purpose you would want to do such a thing?  Are you
> just trying to decrement the TTL by one hop or are you wanting to mess with
> QoS on inbound / outbound traffic?  If so why not use IMQ?

As I wrote earlier on this list, I have a setup with linux router, three
local interfaces and one outside interface. I do NAT and manage
bandwidth. Therefore I needed the IMQ functionality. Unfortunately, no
distro known by me at that time had kernel with IMQ (I didn't want to
use stock kernel and patch it myself every time I need to upgrade
kernel). Besides, it was also a kind of "proof-of-concept" solution.
Anyway, It works almost flawlessly (except for some strange behaviour
with GRE packets which I described few days ago).

--
\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\ Being  vewy, vewy quiet is iweviwent. <hehe-
.\.Kruk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\.\. hehehe> - Fudd of Borg.