Re: Complete Rule Syntax

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 02:24:01PM -0500, Thomas Jones wrote:
> Is there a resource available that contains a complete compilation of
> the syntax used by iptables rules? Targets only available in certain
> chains, positional semantics, and structure requirements, etc...
>
> A book, howto, tutorial anything.
>
> I've found the resources via google do not have a complete listing of
> available commands, options, and accepted values and/or value ranges.
>
> I am developing an Document Type Definition to provide proper format of
> iptables rules and/or commands for a custom XML Markup Language. But,
> given the complexities of both DTD development syntax and iptables
> syntax; it has proven to be heck of a job.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i honestly don't mean this as some sort of wise-ass answer, but you
appear to be asking for the information contained in 'man 8 iptables.'

if you need the usage details for non-standard extensions, you can refer
to the 'help' file in each extension's subdirectory in PoM (best way to
get PoM these days is via svn @
http://svn.netfilter.org/netfilter/trunk/patch-o-matic-ng/ )

-j

--
"Tom Tucker: I think I speak for everyone when I say, New York and
 everyone from there can fornicate themselves with an iron stick."