Complete Rule Syntax

Is there a resource available that contains a complete compilation of
the syntax used by iptables rules? Targets only available in certain
chains, positional semantics, and structure requirements, etc...

A book, howto, tutorial anything.

I've found the resources via google do not have a complete listing of
available commands, options, and accepted values and/or value ranges.

I am developing an Document Type Definition to provide proper format of
iptables rules and/or commands for a custom XML Markup Language. But,
given the complexities of both DTD development syntax and iptables
syntax; it has proven to be heck of a job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Thomas Jones