IPTables affecting Webserver

Hello Masters,

We are running a Redhat 9 Server with Apache and Tomcat Services.
We also enabled IPtables and the strange thing is that some (a few)
websites residing on the server can be browsed & pinged, while the
rest (many) of the websites cannot be browsed or pinged.

When we disabled IPTables, normal browsing of resident websites
resumed.   What are the possibilities that create this problem?  How
can we secure our web server w/ IPTables but not interfere w/ normal
operation?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

---jake