Re: syslogging firewall data to an external file

matt wrote:

Hi all,

Apologies if this post is more a kernel/syslog post, but from what I’ve read
part of it is netfilter.

I have a linux box that’s has an iptables rule -A INPUT -j LOG --log-prefix
"FIREWALL:INPUT"

Which is basiclly my last rule, so if my other rules haven’t been matched it
will log it into the syslog

My syslog config looks like this

auth,authpriv.* -/var/log/auth.log
*.*;auth,authpriv.none -/var/log/sys.log
daemon.* -/var/log/daemon.log
kern.* -/var/log/kern.log
mail.* -/var/log/mail.log
user.* -/var/log/user.log
*.emerg *

So kernel warnings go to kern.log – mail alerts go to mail.log etc thus
keeping the actual syslog clean of anything other than core stuff. However
my syslog is getting flooded with firewall data. I’ve read in the FAQ that
explains how the priority of the logging feature is used with syslog,
however I was wondering if there was anyway I could configure
netfilter/syslog to something like this

kern.* -/var/log/kern.log
mail.* -/var/log/mail.log
user.* -/var/log/user.log
netfilter.* /var/log/firewall.log

so that once again the syslog logs only “core” data and all the general
netfilter jazz goes to the firewall.log, so that should I need to I can
study it, yet keeping the syslog clear.

Thanks,

Matt

Hello,

Use the ULOG (userspace logging) target and the ulogd deamon. That way you may specify logging to a particular file (supports sql logging too).
More at: http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html

regards,
Georgi Alexandrov