Re: Are these firewall rules impossible to understand?..........

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 12:12, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm skeptical ANYONE really understands all of these.  The ones that really bug me are the ones that insist that all FIN, PSH and URG packets
> must have ACK set.  Who would have know that?
>
> e.g. /usr/bin/sudo /sbin/iptables -A tcpchk -p tcp --tcp-flags ACK,FIN
> FIN -j DROP

because FIN's need to be ACKnowledged, which means they need to have an
acknowledgment number; therefore the ACK bit needs to be set.

i doubt there's a statement in RFC 793 that says "FIN packets must have
the ACK bit set" but reading page 39 should lead you to the conclusion
that a FIN with no ACK bit just doesn't make sense.

-j

--
"What's the point of going out, we're just going to end up back
 here anyway?"