Re: Bandwidth Limiting (rate-limit) through IPTABLE

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:03:29AM +0530, spdesai@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I am using IPTABLE for below purpose onlyy..
>
> To restrict ping from/to LAN
> To restrict ftp from/to LAN
> To restrict telnet from/to LAN
> To restrict site from/to LAN
> To restrict messanger from/to LAN
> To restrict particular port like IMAP/pop3 from/to LAN
>
> Pl. let me know the whether IPTABLE can use in any other way ..i.e any other
> purpose in which IPTABLE can be use.
>
> can IPTABLE use for bandwidth limiting..????

Not directly.  There are some other features which may be used for
limiting connections.  A good article about this here:

http://linuxgazette.net/108/odonovan.html

See iproute2 and tc for QOS stuff like bandwidth limiting.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager