slow ftp

hi list

we are running ftp "proftpd" server it takes times when a user
connects to ftp server however when I flush the iptables rules
connection doesn't takes time, iptables firewall on the same machine,
default policies are DROP,
firewall script is very straight forward

rules
.
.
# Using Connection State to By-pass Rule Checking
iptables -A INPUT  -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
.
.
.iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 20:21 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
.
.

# Load the FTP connection state helper module.
modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
# Load the FTP NAT module.
modprobe ip_nat_ftp

any idea?