Re: IPSec through my firewall

"Jean Caron" <caronj@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Ola, Your problem is directly related to NAT. You can not use NAT. ESP
> will not establish any security association if the source or
> destination address have been modified, which is exactly what NAT does
> to your packets. In order for this to work, you need to encapsulate
> your ESP (IPsec) traffic within either UDP or TCP. NAT-Traversal does
> this. Different vendors implement this using different ports.protocol,
> but essentially they are encapsulating the orignal packets, hiding the
> info from NAT. The iptable rules above are exactly what you'd need if
> the tunnel was terminating ON the firewall. But to terminate it PAST
> the firewall, unless you use public addresses everywhere (no NAT), you
> will need to encapsulate, and define approriate (additional) rules on
> your firewall fot the NAT-T port used. Hope this helps,
> Jean

Right. I went back to Ethereal to have another look. It seems to
report the inner most protocol it can decode (in the view I posted
initially). Looking at the packet in detail gives this:

Frame 275 (160 bytes on wire, 160 bytes captured)
Linux cooked capture
Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 102.168.3.249 (192.168.3.249). Dst Addr: 1.2.3.4 (1.2.3.4)
user Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 4500 (4500), Dst Port: 4500 (4500)
UDP Encapsulation of IPsec Packets
Encapsulating Security Payload

So, you're right it is encapsulated in some form. Also, colleagues
using e.g. D-Link routers have no problems connecting. So the traffic
should NAT OK. I will now try the patch-o-matic dropped-table to try
to understand we the packets get dropped instead of NATed (as
suggested by Samuel Jean).

--
/Ola Nilsson