Re: Two NICS with same IP and same client IP

> On Wednesday 02 February 2005 16:57, Hervé wrote:
>
>> Basically, the network interface where the packet originated has to
>> somehow be remembered at the routing stage. I only see source address
>> mangling to do that...
>>

> It would seem that if you add two additional IPs to the NFS machine (on a
> dummy interface) and do a local DNAT to those IPs based on the incoming
> nic,
> that the correct routing tables/rules would be all that is needed to route
> the return packets to the correct network.
>
> Have a look at
>
>    http://www.policyrouting.org/PolicyRoutingBook/ONLINE/TOC.html
>
> for the concepts and examples.  Chapter 5, in particular, covers the
> routing
> concepts your solution will need.
>
> Note that ProxyARP uses the same ip on two interfaces and depends on the
> proper routing table entries to do the right thing.
>

> --
>
> Bob Tellefson
> Java network application development & hosting

Yup, that's what I started doing, but I still have to modify the source
address somehow, so the return packet is routed according to that
address...

In fact, conceptually, I really want a router between each client and my
server:

Client1 (a.b.c.d) -> (a.b.c.1) Router (x.y.z.1) -|-> (x.y.z.3) Server
Client2 (a.b.c.d) -> (a.b.c.1) Router (x.y.z.2) -|

This does all: same client IPs, unique server for all the clients IP (and
only one NIC).

And that's probably what I'm going to do, not just conceptually!

But I have to say that I would have liked to do it all on the one machine,
rather than needing to go through routers.

Thanks for the link as well, I need to read through it carefully before
giving up my first idea (I hate giving up ;-)

Herve.