Re: udp port forwarding from internal network to internet

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 09:31, Kevin Van Workum wrote:
> >   # adjust these to suit
> >   INT_IF=eth1

is the internal interface of the firewall machine

> >   EXT_IF=eth0

is the external interface of the firewall machine

> >   EXT_IP=`ip -4 -o addr sh $EXT_IF | awk '{print
> > $4}' | cut -d"/" -f1`

is the external ip address of the firewall machine

> >   SRV_IP=1.2.3.4

is the IP address of the server on the internet you're trying to connect

> >   SRV_PORT=1111

is the UDP port you're trying to connect to on the server on the
internet

> >   iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state
> > ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

allows the replies to established connections and related connections
and error messages through the FORWARD chain of the firewall

> >   iptables -A FORWARD -i $INT_IF -o $EXT_IF -p udp
> > -d $SRV_IP \
> >     --dport $SRV_PORT -j ACCEPT

allows packets arriving inbound on the internal interface destined for
the udp port on the server on the internet to be forwarded through the
firewall

> >   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $EXT_IF -j SNAT
> > --to-source $EXT_IP

translates the source IP of packets exiting the firewall to the external
IP address of the firewall.

> Thanks. Just so I understand what I'm doing here.
> SVR_IP is the IP of the server on the internet that my
> app on my internal network is conntacting?

yup.

> What is the effect of these rules?
> Can you explain in english what these rules mean?
> What IP does my app connect to, the internal IP of my
> server with the internet connection?

nope--the IP of the server on the internet.

-j

--
"Homer no function beer well without."
	--The Simpsons