Re: about iprange

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 14:45 +0100, jdf [zionarea.org] wrote:
> Using network addresses like 192.168.0/8 is well, but it's not granular
> enough: just because we cannot provide all the addresses if they don't
> follow this contiguous rule.
>
> So I'm finally wondering about iprange. Most of linux distributions, with
> the ones I know, don't provide iprange for the kernel. Are there any
> performance or security issue behind this behavior ? Or is it simply a
> 'bad' choice of those distributors ? But maybe it's simply due to the
> kernel version. It appears 2.6.x provide this option at default; but if
> I remember well 2.4.x didn't.

I had asked this same question as we considered enabling iprange rule
creation for the ISCS network security management project
(http://iscs.sourceforge.net).  We were told by the patch's creator that
there is virtually no additional overhead compared to a subnet match
(assuming I understood him correctly!).

We found we needed to accommodate solutions both ways within ISCS, i.e.,
if a gateway supports iprange, we write iptables rules with ranges.  If
not, we use the logic found in SubnetCreator
(http://subnetcreator.sourceforge.net) to break the range into subnets
and then create rules for the resultant subnets.  Hope this helps - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com